Writing a sympathy card is often an emotional and intimidating experience. It can be challenging to find the right words to offer support, comfort, and empathy. We know how important it is to lend a piece of your heart and pay your respects, while being thoughtful, mindful, and open with your condolences.
Here are 40 meaningful messages to inspire an intimate, heartfelt offering of sympathy and compassion. Consider them starters to help your personal note flow. They may inspire you or you can use them as guidelines, but remember the most thoughtful messages come from the heart.
From a family member:
- I am thankful to have shared memories with _____. I will miss him/her and his/her impact on our family.
- Our family will not be the same without _______. I hope we can find comfort together during this difficult time.
- No words will ever do justice to the impact ________ has left on our family.
- The legacy ______ has left on our family is unmatched by any words that can be written.
- I will miss _______ and will carry our memories together for the rest of my life.
- _______ made a difference in so many lives. I am thankful to have been a member of his/her family, learning and growing from him/her.
- Where lives pass, memories carry on forever.
- I am saddened to learn of the loss our family has suffered and hope to move through this difficult time together as one.
- I hope we can celebrate the life _______ lived, remembering the good times we’ve shared as a family.
- Our family will forever remain strong together and will share in the journey to finding peace after this difficult loss.
From a colleague
- Please know we are thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.
- We are so lucky to have you as a member of our office and are saddened to hear of your loss. Please know you are in our thoughts.
- Wishing you peace and comfort during this hard time.
- We are so sorry to have learned about your loss. We are here for you however needed.
- The office is with you in your thoughts during this time of healing.
- We are saddened to learn of the loss you’ve had, please let us know how we may help you heal.
- I hope this card finds you surrounded by strength and compassion.
- Please accept our warmest condolences, we are deeply sorry for your loss.
- Our hearts are saddened to learn of your loss, please know we are with you.
- We hope you know we are by your side during this time of sorrow.
From a friend:
- Wishing you peace and comfort during this difficult time.
- Please know you are in our thoughts, and in our hearts.
- Words fail to express my sorrow for your loss. Please know I am with you through this difficult time.
- My heart goes out to you and your family.
- The joy _____ brought to our lives will not be forgotten.
- Please know I am here to listen, comfort, and lean on during this difficult time.
- I hope it brings you comfort to know that I am celebrating the life ______ lived and am thankful for his impact on my life.
- Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss.
- Please know we are only a phone call away.
- Hoping these words will help you find comfort during this time of sorrow.
From all of us:
- We are deeply sorry for your loss.
- May you find comfort in knowing you are not alone, you are surrounded by those who care for you.
- Please remember that we love and care about you and will be here for you always.
- It was truly a pleasure to have gotten to know ______. He/she will be missed dearly.
- We hope this card finds you surrounded by love and compassion.
- May time help you heal and bring you peace.
- The loss of a loved one is never easy, but know we are with you through your grief.
- We are thankful to be a part of your life and hope we can offer comfort and strength during your time of need.
- We hold you close in our thoughts and hope you know you can lean on us for whatever you may need.
- Sending you lots of love and comfort, we are so sorry for your loss.
By Connor McGury for Lovepop